Staff Editorial: The Amount of College Mail

Paige Maki

The amount of mail colleges send over the college searching process

These days, no one appreciates the beauty of sending mail quite like colleges do. The sheer amount that shows up daily is intended to introduce and expose us to different colleges; however, sometimes it can be downright overwhelming.

After a certain point, the novelty of ripping open envelopes and perusing glossy catalogues wears off. It quickly becomes too much to keep up with, and suddenly, you’ve got a mountain of mail with nowhere to put it. 

The University of Tennesse sent a box of swag when a student was accepted (Madeline Tiedt)

This mass advertising also extends to email. Dozens of emails flood our inboxes each day, alerting us of virtual events and urging us to apply. What once felt like opening fan mail now feels more like a chore. It’s simply too much.

Additionally, a vast majority of the mail we receive is from colleges that we have shown little or no interest in. It’s understandable that these schools want to put themselves out there and make themselves known, but continuously emailing students that don’t interact with said emails just doesn’t make sense. 

A VR headset that Maryville University gave out (Laure Schulders)

However, college advertising isn’t all bad. It can familiarize students with schools that they might not have heard of otherwise. It also shows students that universities

care enough about them to the point where they send copious amounts of information and updates so the students can stay in the loop.

Loyola University sent out buckets of Garrett’s popcorn to prospective students (Paige Maki)

Sometimes, it can even result in fun merchandise. While the most common thing that schools send is stickers, colleges get crafty with attention-

grabbing items they send to compel students to either apply or commit to their school. Flags, pens, popcorn and frisbees only scratch the surface as to what we’ve been sent by colleges trying to woo us.

While mail from colleges can sometimes result in the occasional sticker, on the whole it is rather overpowering and adds even more factors into the already complicated college searching process.

The purpose of the staff editorial is to start a conversation. The editorial topic and stance are discussed and agreed on by all members of the editorial board. While only one editor writes the article and the editorial may not represent each editor’s opinion 100%, it does represent an editorial consensus. Again, the purpose is discussion. Let us know what you think through Twitter @SCNNewspaper and email at [email protected].