Fans Eagerly Await the New Spider-Man Movie

Spider-Man: No Way Home releases in theaters only Dec. 17.

Bridget Nelis

“Spider-Man: No Way Home” releases in theaters only Dec. 17.

Tyler Moore, Staff Writer

“Spider-Man: No Way Home” will be released on Friday, Dec. 17. The movie will be another in a long line of Spider-Man media. “Spider-Man: No Way Home” will be the third Spider-Man movie to take place in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, a fictional universe centered on various superhero films produced by Marvel Studios.

Fans have been eagerly waiting for Spider-Man to return to the big screen.

“I think I’m most excited to see how it develops the whole story that’s been advancing in the MCU,” said Arabella Carlson, freshman.

“Spider-Man: No Way Home,” the third of its trilogy, will follow the events of “Spider-Man: Far from Home” in which Peter Parker was revealed to the world to be Spider-Man. Peter Parker asks Doctor Strange to restore his secret identity; however, this breaks the multiverse, causing villains to appear from various alternative universes.

“I think seeing how the multiverse occurs and why and how that influences the rest of the MCU for years and generations to come will be really cool,” said Katherine Dickson, social studies teacher.

Spider-Man made his debut in Marvel Comics’ “Amazing Fantasy #15.” He then went on to feature in many Marvel comic books, such as the comic series “The Amazing Spider-Man.”

Since then, Spider-Man has become a popular character and cultural icon.

“He’s a very fun and lovable character,” said Carlson.

Spider-Man continues to be popular today, appearing in many movies.

After Sony acquired film rights to Spider-Man from Marvel, Spider-Man made his first appearance on the big screen in 2002 in Sam Raimi’s “Spider-Man,” starring Tobey Maguire. The 2002 film had two sequels, “Spider-Man 2” and “Spider-Man 3.”

In 2012, Sony rebooted the Spider-Man franchise with “The Amazing Spider-Man,” directed by Marc Webb and starring Andrew Garfield. Its sequel, “The Amazing Spider-Man 2” was released in 2014.

After negotiations between Marvel and Sony, Spider-Man made his first appearance in the Marvel Cinematic Universe in “Captain America: Civil War.” Since then there have been two MCU Spider-Man movies starring Tom Holland, of which “Spider-Man: No Way Home” will be the third.

“I’m gonna do a marathon of the previous Spider-Man movies to prepare,” said Dickson.

Villains from the Sam Raimi and Marc Webb Spider-Man movies will be some of those appearing in Spider-Man: No Way Home.” These include the Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus from Sam Raimi’s trilogy and Electro from “The Amazing Spider-Man 2.”

“I am really excited to see those characters incorporated into the MCU,” said Carlson. “I am very excited to see how they fit into the story.”