Student Body President Alyssa Hughes Shares Back-to-School Advice

Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes, senior, the 2022-2023 Student Body President.

Alyssa Hughes, Guest Writer

My name is Alyssa Hughes, and I am so excited to be your Student Body President for this school year. So, a little bit about me is I have played varsity basketball since freshman year, and I am a member of National Honor Society, Science National Honor Society, and Scholar Athletes. I also enjoy spending time volunteering at the Northern Illinois Food Bank and as a member of the St. Charles Youth Commission. 

As we begin the school year, members of Student Council will be working on developing our main focus areas to address areas for improvement in our school. I’m very passionate about hearing the needs of all students and hope to implement positive changes within our school community. Please feel free to reach out to any of your class representatives or me with any ideas you may have. As we hopefully move on from COVID-19, we should start to experience a more normal high school year with desks closer together, no mask requirements, changing for gym and eating lunch in the cafeteria. One goal for this year is to return school spirit back to pre-covid levels where students are excited to attend not only sporting events but musical performances, plays, and other extracurricular events. Let’s take advantage of these opportunities and make sure to show our North Star spirit this year!

I can’t wait to work with all of you this year as we create a great environment here at SCN. Here are a few brief messages written to each class: 

Freshmen, enjoy the four years you have at high school! Everyone says it goes by fast, and while you may not believe that right now, very shortly you will become a senior. Make sure you take advantage of all the unique opportunities North has to offer and find something you are very passionate about. High school is a great place to try something new!

Sophomores, step out of your comfort zone! Last year you got to observe and watch everything happen for the first time, but this year you know what high school is all about! Make sure to attend different events, join the clubs you were hesitant about, and participate in the spirit days!

Juniors, savor this year! While everyone says junior year is the hardest in the classroom, make sure to find time to be with your friends and enjoy all of the events at North. Before you know it, you will be a senior, and it will be your last time for everything. Make sure you work hard in your classes, but remember to make the most out of the year and start considering what you want to do after high school. 

Seniors, it’s here! Our lasts for everything. Last first day of school. Last first home football game. Last Homecoming. Last Prom. Enjoy all of the moments that we have left. Don’t wish away senior year too fast because ten years from now, these memories will be ones that you miss the most. Make sure to end your high school career on a high note with hard work and perseverance. You are now the role models for the rest of the school. Let’s show them what being a North Star is all about! 

I look forward to an amazing 2022-2023 school year with all of you! Let’s make sure to make it a great one. Go Stars!