Valentine’s Day: The Holiday That Only Ends Poorly

Valentines+Day+can+often+cause+arguments+between+partners.+Everette+Alhambra%2C+freshman%2C+and+Lincoln+Pixton%2C+freshman.+

Lynn Singh

Valentine’s Day can often cause arguments between partners. Everette Alhambra, freshman, and Lincoln Pixton, freshman.

Magen Kranz, Staff Writer

Some people love Valentine’s day. Others, however, dread it with their whole being. In 2016, there were 115.78 million adults in the U.S. who were alone for Valentine’s Day. This made up 47.3% of the U.S.’s population of people 18 and older. Not only are all of these people alone on this day specifically, but are not happy about it either. They are forced to see images of hearts and symbols of love everywhere they go when they do not have a love for themselves. 

Valentine’s Day also adds a lot of pressure to couples. If you are in a relationship for this day, you need to fulfill the expectations that your partner has. You are expected to give your significant other a thoughtful, meaningful, cute and romantic gift for them to cherish forever. No pressure. Not only this, but you’re expected to spend a perfect evening together. Again, no pressure. 

One study done by ABC News this year showed that four out of ten American couples broke up on Valentine’s Day. First your partner buys you the wrong kind of flowers, then you forget to reserve a table at your favorite restaurant to spend the night at. Small things that wouldn’t matter much on a normal day, but it’s Valentine’s Day. There is no room for mistakes because everything must be perfect, and if it’s not, the arguments begin to start. That then will lead you and your partner to break up and resent each other forever. 

Another reason that Valentine’s Day has an overall negative impact is due to the obligation felt. While yes, there is pressure, the obligation can lead to much worse problems in your relationship. If you are expected to buy your partner flowers, chocolate, jewelry, etc., there will be no meaning behind it. When you receive a gift on Valentine’s Day, you don’t feel like it’s completely because the other person is doing it out of love; it’s because they know that you will break up with them if they don’t. Bringing someone you love something special on a random day of the year is much more meaningful than giving someone a gift that you know you were obligated to buy.  

These “meaningful gifts” are just a scam for your money. The average American spends about 143.56 dollars on Valentine’s Day related gifts. This year the total dollars projected to be spent on Valentine’s Day in the U.S. is 19.6 billion dollars. Valentine’s Day is supposed to be spent by spending quality time with the person that you love. You’re supposed to be spending time, not money. While this is true, businesses use this holiday to their advantage to convince you to buy as much as you can from them. Everyone deserves a gift, but almost 150 bucks on a holiday that was made big by large corporations whose only goal in life is to take your money is absurd. 

Overall, the idea of Valentine’s Day is nice, but the execution of the day is not. Buy your significant other some flowers on a random day to show them you care. Don’t waste your money on gushy cards that have cute clichés in them when you could be telling them how much you love them in your own words instead.