The North Star Olympics Returns to North After Five Years

Lynn Singh

Jake DiNatale and Gigi Gennarelli, seniors

Tess Arendt and Magen Kranz

The St. Charles North Student Council is bringing back the North Star Olympics for the first time in five years. The competitions will be taking place at North on April 22, and team registrations are due April 4. Registration is $10 per person. Students will get a t-shirt with their team name and selected color with the entry.

The North Star Olympics is a competition where participants can create teams of eight to ten students from our school, regardless of grade, to compete in four different events. Events this year include Human Foosball, Quiz Show, Gaga Ball and an obstacle course. 

Human Foosball is a recreation of the classic table game but with real life people. They use pads to recreate the foosball courts in real life, and this event will take place in the pods. 

Quiz Show will be held in room 302 and is a recreation of a trivia game show. 

Gaga Ball, a variant of dodgeball that is played in a gaga “pit,” will take place in the small gym. It will be played tournament style, meaning winning teams will advance against other winning teams while the losing teams are eliminated. 

The Obstacle Course will take place all the way around the 400s wing and will be timed. 

This is the first year the Olympics are returning after they discontinued five years ago. The events originally were connected to a second semester turnabout dance, Sadie Hawkins. When student attendance to this dance dwindled, the Olympics stopped running. Efforts to get it up and running halted after the COVID-19 pandemic, making this the first year they were able to bring the Olympics back successfully. 

The first North Star Olympics began in 2004 and was developed by Student Council to provide an opportunity for all students to participate in unique games and have fun overall. 

“They first started in 2004 because the seniors didn’t win homecoming and they were very crabby for the whole year. And so we developed this program. It’s like an event where they could come in and just try and have fun,” said Erin Manheim, sophomore and Student Council adviser.

Student Council is excited about hosting this event again after its long time away, and they’re ready for students to join. 

“I know that a lot of students especially really love coming, and I know small games is a very popular event, but we don’t tend to host a lot of these events or games throughout the school year,” said Anna Gagne, sophomore class president. “[Bringing] the Olympics back will be a really good opportunity just to get kids motivated, participating and also feeling competitive and wanting to win and just compete with their peers.” 

Captains can sign their teams up for the North Star Olympics here.

Email Ms. Manheim at [email protected] for any questions and clarifications.