Juniors Take Charge of Student Directed One Acts

Lynn Singh

Juniors Atticus Pixton and Derek Hibben and freshmen Abby Potts and Reagan Jorgenson rehearse for the one acts.

Tyler Moore, Managing Editor

The North theater department will hold its annual Student Directed One Acts Thursday and Friday, May 11 and 12 at 7:30 p.m. in the auditorium. At the performance, there will be three short plays that were chosen and directed by North students.

Juniors Ella Weasler, Brendan Losurdo and Jaxon Mitchell are directing the one acts this year.

“Typically, it’s seniors [who direct]. However, this year, we didn’t have a lot of seniors, so they opened it to juniors,” said Mitchell.

Mitchell is directing “Cards of Fate,” a play about contestants deciding people’s fates as a part of a game show; Weasler is directing  “10 Ways to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse;” and Losurdo is directing an adaptation of a Seinfeld episode called “The One Act About Nothing.”

“We got pretty much free reign on what we wanted to do with [the one acts],” said Mitchell. “The only limit is your creativity, so that’s what I find really fun about it.”

The one acts provide students who do not usually act in the school’s other theater productions with a chance to get involved.

“I figured if I’m going to all of the shows, I might as well start participating,” said sophomore Isaiah James, an actor in “Cards of Fate.”

Students involved in the aspects of North’s theater production other than acting also get an opportunity to be on stage.

“There’s two sides to every show: there’s the onstage and then behind the stage,” said Mitchell. “So we really try to get tech people involved so they could get the onstage experience.”