North Swim and Dive Coach Receives Prestigious Award for an Outstanding Career

Benoit, Joseph R.

Coach Rooney holding his induction plaque

Holly Nguyen-Barba, Staff Writer

On April 16, Rob Rooney was inducted into the Illinois Swim Hall of Fame by winning the Illinois Swimming and Diving Award. He was nominated by swim coach Chad Allen from Neuqua Valley High School. 

“I’m very flattered for that nomination. It means a lot to the past, present, and future swimmers and divers of St. Charles North,” said Rooney.

The award itself was made in honor of Lane Tech’s John Newman who presented this award to recognize the careers of those who have promoted swim teams in Illinois. It is one of the highest swimming awards that is given in Illinois aquatics.

“I’ve been going to the All-State Banquet for a lot of years, and I’ve heard a lot of great coaches. And not only great coaches but people who have given a lot to the swimming community to be part of that award…There’s only one person who goes in per year, so to me it’s very humbling,” said Rooney.

Many North students know of Rooney, either as a gym teacher or as the swim coach for the boys and girls team, where he describes his responsibilities as, “A Lot of time and effort put into the Boys/Girls Swim Team Programs,” said Rooney.

Rooney was a coaching assistant for St. Charles High School in 1993-1997 before working three years in Waubonsie Valley High School and finally, he became a coach here at St. Charles North in 2000 when it opened. 

“I’ve been very fortunate for the 20 years here at St. Charles North to have consistency in the program and the success that the boy and girls programs have had in the pool,” said Rooney.