New Program Allows Students to Learn With Athletic Trainers

Lincoln Pixton
Students now have opportunities to work as aids to North’s athletic trainers.

Last year, North added a new student volunteer program. Students can now sign up to be an athletic trainer aid, giving them opportunities to learn about sports medicine and athletic training, as well as actually putting that learning into practice in real-world situations. 

According to Joe Benoit, athletic director, our athletic trainers here at North are considered to be some of the best in Illinois. 

“Last year they reduced the average injury recovery time from 24 to 14 days,” said Benoit. 

Many different things will be taught in this program. Some of these include basic first aid, taping, bracing, etc., as well as rehab and physical therapy related tasks.

“[Students] have to get a check off from us [on the operation] before they would be performed on any student athlete,” said Patrick Roscoe, one of the athletic trainers. 

Students will experience a variety of opportunities relating to sports medicine. “We’ve had some PTS come out to sideline games from ATI physical therapy, [and] we had a Physicians Associate from Fox Valley ortho, so they get exposure to other health care professionals,” said Roscoe. 

Providing students these opportunities in sideline settings creates less pressure than going to a hospital or office, but still allows for lots of helpful insight and knowledge. 

This program mainly requires student involvement after school hours, during sports practices and games. For example, during the fall season, students may be asked to come to away football games. Interested students are always encouraged to participate. 

“We always take in new students,” said Roscoe.

Even if the sport(s) you engage in conflict with the program, it is available all sports seasons, and you can participate during your off season. 

The trainers provide a very hands-on experience for students.

“[They] make you feel like you’re actually doing something and that you’re actually in the program rather than just shadowing,” said Bree Jacquez, a junior currently participating in the program. 

Students wanting to participate in this program can easily sign up. Free registration can be found on the SCN Athletic Snap Manage website. Sign-ups are almost the same as regular sports registration, aside from the lack of a fee. Requirements for registration include CPR, First Aid, and AED certification, as well as an up to date physical. 

“If you’re in the sports medicine classes here at St. Charles North, it could be a good segue of taking what you learned in class and then applying it in a real world facility,” said Roscoe. 

Anyone interested in medicine, physical therapy, athletic training, and anything in sports medicine should consider this program. 

“Do it, it’s so nice. You get to be in the action. You’re always seeing new faces and meeting new people,” said Jacquez.