New Business Teacher Aims to Connect With Students

The Business Department’s Newest Teacher Brendan McCormack Hopes to Help Students “Find That Spark”
Max Fang
New business teacher Brendan McCormack aspires to help students find their way.

One of eight new faculty members to join North this year, Brendan McCormack hopes to truly make a difference with his students. With a background in teaching both history and music education in middle schools, high schools, and universities, Mr. McCormack now teaches business education.

“I think it’s very important to be the kind of teacher that students look forward to coming to your class, even if they don’t like the subject you’re teaching,” said McCormack in regards to his mindset when teaching. “The way you get the best out of those students is by making it a fun class for them to be a part of, even if it doesn’t interest them at all.”

McCormack himself had a less-than-smooth path to becoming a teacher, which allows him to relate to disinterested students better.

“I was a mediocre high-school student myself, I grew up in West Chicago, so not too far away from here,” said McCormack.“I was a smart kid, but I didn’t work very hard, so when I graduated from high school, community college was my only real option. So I went to College of DuPage, and when I was there, I really got bit by the learning bug, and so I ended up graduating from there with almost a perfect 4.0.”

Consequently, McCormack views himself as a late bloomer and hopes to help the high school students of North experience an awakening similar to his, only earlier in life.

For McCormack, the motivation for teaching hit close to home. 

“I wanted to make that my career, to help high school students find that spark of learning themselves, just like I had experienced, just a bit earlier in life.” 

McCormack is the only new business department teacher this year, and this is the first year he’s teaching the subject, having previously taught social studies and music. He stated that he had a welcoming first few days here at North.

“I’ve had a lot of very supportive colleagues, and the students have been very friendly,” said McCormack. “Because of the great support I have from my colleagues and the friendliness of the students and the support of the parents, district, and everything like that, I’m not at all anxious about [teaching a new course].”