The case for creativity-focused electives

Natalie Hannah

It’s typical for high school students to have a predetermined idea of the courses they will take, the clubs in which they will participate, and the sports they will engage in. Additionally, no two students have exactly the same interests, which is why a wide variety of options need to be available. While North has a great variety of sports and clubs, electives with less student interest often get cut from the curriculum. 

When an elective class doesn’t get enough students to sign up, it’s not uncommon for the class to be totally cut, at least for that school year. However, this shows students that their interests don’t matter as much as the more “mainstream” interests of other students. If any amount of student interest is shown, no matter how little, there is value in that. While classes don’t have to run every single year if enrollment isn’t high enough for it to logistically work, all options should at least be offered. Students should be given the chance to show interest in a class before the option is taken away. Unfortunately, this year has a small assortment of classes under discussion of removal at North for the 2024-2025 school year.

High school is the time when we can freely explore different subjects before going off to college or out into the real world, and this opportunity shouldn’t be taken away. According to College Board, “Choosing electives in high school demonstrates an interest in new areas of study while showing your willingness to branch out and try something new. School electives prepare you for tomorrow, setting the stage for new interests, college majors and career paths. Although they may seem like ‘extra’ classes while you’re still in high school, electives can be critical to your future success.” The fact that an organization such as College Board strongly believes that electives are so important further proves that having a variety of options when it comes to these classes is necessary. 

One class that was under discussion of removal is Art History. The rationale behind this was low student enrollment and the fact that it runs concurrently with AP Art History. However, if a class has an AP version,  it’s important for the standard version to be available as well. After all, students may want the chance to see if they like the course enough to commit to the rigor of an AP version. Additionally, students may learn through taking a standard course that they like it more than they realized they would. Taking Art History away would eliminate this important opportunity, and just because the AP version remains does not mean that the class’s removal is necessary or unimportant.

Certain other classes may have to run a little differently depending on enrollment. For example, 2D Media 3 and 2D Media Advanced are two art classes that often run together due to low enrollment, meaning there is one section with students from both classes in it. This means that not every student is working on the same project for the same class. It also means scheduling conflicts are very common, as there is only one class period the class is available. 

In these classes, there is one theme in common- they’re all related to the arts in some way. It’s undeniable that the culture of American High Schools places focus on things like football season while creativity and the arts aren’t as valued. When a student gets an award in a big art show, it isn’t nearly as recognized as the football team winning a game, and though the skills are different, they both are challenging, demanding, and deserving of recognition. Students need the outlet to take creative electives that foster and recognize a wide range of talents and skills.

Furthermore, students who take art-related classes and electives were proven to do better in school and their lives overall. 

According to a study done by the National Endowment for the Arts, “Teenagers and young adults of low socioeconomic status (SES) who have a history of in-depth arts involvement show better academic outcomes than do low-SES youth who have less arts involvement. They earn better grades and demonstrate higher rates of college enrollment and attainment.” Taking classes that foster creativity can significantly help one to become more successful. Whether someone goes into the arts or not, these classes set students up for success in their academic achievements outside of the arts.

The study went on to say, “Young adults who had intensive arts experiences in high school are more likely to show civic-minded behavior than young adults who did not.” The positive influence of art-focused electives extends beyond just those classes, but to your entire school career and life beyond.

Between all the classes that had discussion of removal (Speech, Art History, English 12: British Literature Honors, and Advanced Application of Technology), the first three out of the four are arguably creativity based. Creative electives are extremely important in one’s school career, and they should always be offered. The call on whether or not to offer a course shouldn’t be made prior to course selections- students should have the opportunity to show interest in the class regardless of whether or not interest has been shown in every past year it’s been offered.