St. Charles wraps up renovations of First Street Plaza

Tyler Moore
The First Street Plaza has officially opened; however, some renovations are still being made.

On Jan. 24, 2024, the city of St. Charles held the grand opening ceremony for the new pedestrian area on First Street. Despite this, part of the plaza remains closed. 

In January 2020, St. Charles purchased a parcel of land on First Street with the ultimate goal of opening a pedestrian plaza and permanently dedicating the stretch of road between Walnut and Main to pedestrians. This new space allowed nearby businesses to extend their outdoor seating and created a more lively space.

The plaza is funded by a public-private partnership from nearby donors and businesses, which gave donations and endowments. Construction on phase one began in September 2021, while phase two began in May 2023, meaning the project is expected to take nearly three years total.

According to Jayme Muenz, a second ward alderperson in St. Charles, the project has been delayed by late delivery on some parts needed for construction of the plaza. However, the plaza is still on track for completion by the summer. These parts of the plaza are fenced off until it is fully complete for public safety and security purposes.