North Star Ambassadors support North environment through service

Quentin LeDeaux
North Star Ambassadors Diyora Rafieva and Atharv Sood welcome guests into North’s auditorium.

Recognizable by their blue polos and smiling faces at many of North’s biggest events, the North Star Ambassadors are the front-line diplomats who cultivate a welcoming, kind environment at North through their volunteerism. 

The North Star Ambassadors volunteer in many different kinds of service activities that ultimately better the North community, whether it be answering questions, giving directions, welcoming people, or just being a friendly presence. They volunteer at major events like freshman orientation, future freshman night, the annual Veteran’s Day concert and more. They also help new North students get acquainted with North’s building and daily norms. 

“A big part of what we do is being a kind of diplomatic ambassador, welcoming people in and kind of being a face of what a leader should look like from St. Charles North,” said senior North Star Ambassador president Gabriella Duffin.

This is the North Star Ambassadors’ first year with a student-run executive board, a change driven by members of the club interested in reorienting the club to be more student-led than previous years. 

“It wasn’t something that I brought up, they brought it up. They wanted to lead basically, and that sounded like a great idea,” said Libby Sutherland, North Star Ambassador adviser. “It’s just always been kind of an adviser-led club because the biggest component [of responsibility] is coordinating the volunteer opportunities.” 

The implementation of these new leadership positions have also improved student participation in volunteer events and the bonds they have with the club. 

“I really honestly think the difference between last year and this year is enormous. I think [the way] that we can advertise events now and get more students to work at community events is insane,” said Duffin. “I think it also has created more of a bond between the students and the club because you’ve got to have an attachment to something in the club or the activity that you’re doing.”

Sutherland is impressed with this seamless transition of leadership into the hands of students, and with the capabilities of the new executive board. 

“[They’ve gone] above and beyond all of my expectations,” said Sutherland. “You could tell that it was something they were really passionate about because they immediately took the reins and have led beautifully.”

As a member of the North Star Ambassadors, not only do students make a beneficial impact on North’s community, but they are also rewarded with the feeling of contributing to causes larger than themselves and building relationships with people all over the community. 

“What I feel I’ve gotten out of this club is doing something and working for something larger than myself. I think that this club and working behind the scenes for St. Charles North and the student body has been a great experience for me,” said Duffin. “I think it’s really shaped me as a leader, and to be able to just talk to anyone and connect with anyone, and want to welcome people into the community.”

Sutherland encourages anyone interested in being a North Star Ambassador to email her at [email protected] or check the North clubs and activities sheet for more information on how to take part in their service.