Boys basketball defeats the Saints in thrilling match

Olivia Burgan
North players guarding East player during the game

On Friday, Feb. 2nd, North Stars Varsity boys basketball beat the Saint Charles East Saints 65-42.

This cross-town competition between the Stars and the Saints makes for a unique and electric environment, but the Stars maintained a level head leading to their triumph. 

North student section (Olivia Burgan)

“That crowd Friday was incredible, and the student section was massive and loud. It’s hard for a high school basketball player to maintain their composure and all of that, but I thought we did a good job. You just have to stay calm. You have to let everybody else go crazy. We say we’ll celebrate and go crazy after the final buzzer,” said varsity head coach Tom Poulin. 

Rivalry games are always tough games, no matter what the records or reputations are for either team; it’s what allows for such a memorable and competitive environment. Instead of hindering players,  it often plays a huge role in their success. 

“That’s why you play sports. That’s what you want for the kids: to be able to play in front of a crowd like that, and then be able to possibly create some memories that they take forever,” said Poulin. 

The score of the game was anticipated to be close by both players and coaches due to the nature of the match and the energy in the gym. Despite this assumption, the Stars went on a run and pulled ahead through the entire game, eventually widening the gap to 23 points for the final score of 65-42.

Jake Furtney trying to get possession of the ball from East player (Olivia Burgan)

Every player contributed to the game, making those extra passes, using their size and strength to their advantage, hustling, and staying positive. Seniors Jake Furtney and Parker Reinke were both players who especially impacted the Stars to secure their win. 

“Jake Furtney stepped up and was huge, especially early in the game. I thought that Parker Reinke picked up offensively in the second half, but was defensively consistent throughout the game. He was problematic for [East], as far as making it difficult for them to make the next pass and things like that,” said Poulin. 

The Stars are coming to the end of their season with only two more conference games left against Lake Park High School on Friday, Feb 8th for Senior Night, and Geneva High School on Feb. 14. After their big win against Glenbard North this past Wednesday night their record is 10-16. 

“We’re really starting to play our best basketball. Hopefully a game like last Friday just continues to move us forward a little bit or a lot, whatever it takes. We just want to continue progressing so when the tournament hits, these last couple games are great opportunities to continue to get better so that we are playing our very best basketball in the regional,” said Poulin.

Parker Reinke dribbling the ball defending against the Saints (Olivia Burgan)

Looking ahead to the playoffs, the team’s first priority is to win the regional championship. With their current record, it might be more challenging for them than for other schools, but the team believes they have the ability and the tenacity to keep moving forward to achieve their goal. 

“I want this group, with these seniors, to play for a championship and then be able to say that they were champions. If you can get that done, then all of a sudden you’re playing on a sectional stage, and just a sectional semi is a whole different environment. We have the pieces to the puzzle, and we are starting to fit it all together and play really good basketball at the right time,” said Poulin.