North welcomes new special educator Kara Mishoe

Natalie Hannah
New special educator Kara Mishoe

Transitioning from one place to another can be daunting, especially when moving across states and being faced with new students each time. The ability to adjust, however, comes easier to some of us than others. This October, Kara Mishoe joined North’s staff as a special education writing and English teacher and hopes to leave an unforgettable impact on North’s student population.

Having been all over the country due to her husband’s military service, Mishoe arrived at North after 20 years of teaching in Maryland, North Carolina, and New Jersey. Despite feeling unfamiliar, she finds herself learning from each new environment. 

“I think part of why I’m so flexible is because we moved around all the time,” said Mishoe. 

Regardless of location, however, Mishoe enjoys baking, gardening and reading in her spare time. Growing lemons and tomatoes, she finds happiness in tending to her garden and spending time with her family outside of school. She enjoys teaching language and working with students with a variety of needs. 

Working in special education has given Mishoe the opportunity to explore different ways of working with students at the levels they need to be successful. Stemming from an interest in music therapy, she enjoys making connections through English in her current classes.

“I’m really into my writing class,” said Mishoe. “We’ve done a lot of work in there and set up a good station routine, it’s a lot of fun.” 

Striving to encourage kindness in and out of the classroom, Mishoe strongly believes that regardless of a person’s learning needs or style, respecting one another is one of the most valuable things we have to offer. Spreading thoughtfulness and consideration, she longs to see students appreciating each other despite their differences.

“I’m honest, I believe in respecting others; I think it’s important that students learn to respect others and the way that others learn differently … I hope to leave the world a better place,” said Mishoe.

Offering a new, lighthearted personality to the special education program, Mishoe looks forward to becoming a fundamental part of North’s culture and community. Valuing honesty, respect and empathizing with that “new kid” feeling, she relates to and connects with students that just might need a friendly face. 

“I’m pretty easygoing and I like to get along with everyone,” said Mishoe. “I think that in this world, when you respect others, you show it through kindness.”