D303 School Board votes on boundary map decision

James Bryner
On Feb. 12, the D303 School Board voted in favor of Concept 2 for the 2024-2025 school year.

On Monday Feb. 12 and Tuesday Feb. 13, the District 303 School Board approved boundary maps for the 2024-2025 school year. The District approved Concept 2 for middle and high schools and Revised Concept 2 for elementary schools.

Concept 2 makes no changes to the high school boundaries, meaning the boundaries in 2024-2025 will be the same as previous years. This concept changes the middle school boundaries in multiple areas. All neighborhoods East of the Fox River will now be at Wredling, and multiple neighborhoods West of the river will switch between Wredling and Thompson.

The Revised Concept 2 for the elementary school level kept most of the changes of the original Concept 2, except the revised concept leaves the Timbers Neighborhood at Wild Rose Elementary instead of Munhall. This will cause Wild Rose to be at an estimated 102% capacity for the 2024-2025 school year; however, capacity is predicted to fall to 97% or less for the following four school years after 2024-2025.

D303 announced plans for redistricting near the start of the 2023-2024 school year due to concerns of overcrowding. On Nov. 28 and 29, the district held informational meetings revealing the first two concepts for each school level.

On Jan. 16, the board moved forward the Concept 2 middle and high school maps for voting. Before approving these maps on Feb. 12, the district moved forward with the Revised Concept 2 boundaries which was approved the next day.